Platinum Purity in Jewellery

Platinum is now a the highest quality standard for engagement rings, wedding rings, and other fine jewellery. Its natural white-silver finish, durability, and density make it one of the rarest desirable metals for men and women jewellery.

However, platinum rings vary in purity and quality. This is why it is very important that your inspect and examine the jewellery first and consult a reliable jeweller about it before you make your purchase. Doing so will definitely help you ensure platinum purity in the jewellery.

Platinum Weddings Rings

The common platinum alloy present in wedding rings is 950. This means that the platinum in platinum wedding rings has 95% purity. The remaining 5% composition will vary depending on the supplier used but it is typically ruthenium, palladium or iridium. Platinum is obviously heavier compared to gold.

In terms of its price, a platinum ring usually go 2 to 2.5 time higher than a similar ring that is made of gold. Platinum is a hypoallergenic jewellery metal because its metal purity is very high. For people who are experiencing allergic reactions wearing jewellery made of gold, platinum is really the best and most practical alternative.

How to Identify Quality and Purity in Platinum Rings

When choosing a platinum jewellery, it is important that you know how to identify its quality and purity. Here are few tips for you on how to identify the quality of platinum in platinum rings:

  1. Read Platinum Markings (Hallmarks)
  • Locate the hallmarks inside the band. If there is no engraved hallmark, the ring may not be a platinum or it is made of less than 50% of platinum so it is not considered as a platinum.
  • Locate for the symbol that says it is platinum. In most places, platinum rings have the “Pt” symbol followed by a number 850, 900, 950, or 999.
  • Read the letters and numbers of the hallmark.
  1. Determine the Alloy Metal Quality
  • Find out what metal the platinum is mixed with.
  • Understand what alloys are yielding the best quality. Identify the content of other metals that is present in the ring.
  • Consider if there are possible allergens in the metal alloys.
  1. Inquiring About Other Platinum Ring Factors
  • Find a trusted jeweller and ask them particular questions about the metal. You should also consider eco-friendly platinum options. It is important that you consider an ethical concern when you make ring choices.

Platinum Properties and Usage

Platinum is no doubt a useful metal that is now widely-used in the industry especially for the catalytic converters in vehicles. The combination of great rarity and high demand means that platinum is relatively the most expensive metal that is sold today.

Because of its 95% purity in jewellery, it is resistant to corrosion and wearing. When platinum is scratched, the metal is just displaced instead of being lost. So, you can ensure that the volume of it is till the same. Platinum in jewellery is alloy mixed with other metals for a more refined characteristic.